What’s happening on Maui in the real estate world?
Real estate is a long term market, unlike the stock market, and things take a little more time to show trends. We are only in our second month of the statewide Stay at Home order, and selling real estate is proving to be challenging. Open houses are being held “virtually”, as well as many showings. With a huge drop in visitors to the islands, buyer activity has slowed tremendously, but those with high net worth know how to get what they want despite these setbacks.
There is some confusion as to when they will ease the restrictions, but it seems like it will be a long time before the plane loads of tourists will return at numbers like a year ago. For now we are playing it safe and limiting our activities in the community.
Round Table Discussion Week #4
Today’s online ZOOM meeting for people in the real estate industry. A number of brokers, agents, lenders, appraisers and economists logged in for a discussion on how things are, and how things might be in the near future. Fidelity Title has been hosting these events to keep us all connected and informed.
A lot of good points were brought up and tossed around. I’ve put together a list of some of the highlights below.
Take aways from the discussion:
These are opinions and generalizations voiced by some of the attendees.
- shift to the high-end luxury properties selling
- owners of Makena properties are here living in them now
- venture capitalists here on island shopping for real estate
- properties with over an acre of land and privacy are in demand
- there will be less demand for vacation condos
- there is an increase in high-end luxury rentals
- appraisal volume is not down, maybe due to refinancings
- pricing not adjusting down yet
- drop in new listings will lead to a drop in sales
- increase in short sales and foreclosures coming in 6 months or a year
- short term rental restriction likely won’t lift until hotels all open up
Thanks for reading my Maui blog…
Got questions about the market? Buying or selling real estate on Maui? That’s what I do. Let me help YOU.
Georgie Hunter R(S) e-Pro, Hawai’i Life Real Estate Brokers
26 Baldwin Ave, Paia HI 96779
E-mail or call/text: 808 283-0635